Cretaceous & Maelstrom are the main antagonists of Blue Sky's 3rd animated feature film, Ice Age: The Meltdown. Cretaceous is slender blue purple ichthyosaur and Maelstrom is bulky green pliosaur.
Cretaceous and Maelstrom are both vicious, hostile, hot-tempered, impatient, aggressive, and ravenous predators and they got angry easily if it escaped from them. Cretaceous was also shown to be greedy, as he targeted Manny, who was the largest one in the herd and Maelstrom was also shown to be an opportunistic predator, as he targeted Sid and Diego when they were separated from the others of the herd.
Role in the film
Cretaceous and Maelstrom were first seen in the film, thawing out in a melting pack of ice. Their first victim upon defrosting was Fast Tony's Glyptodon sidekick, Stu.
They made one scene in the film when they occasionally tried to eat Manny, Sid, Diego, Ellie, Crash, and Eddie when they were crossing a frozen area of water. Cretaceous wanted to eat Manny because he was the biggest animal in the whole herd, while Maelstrom attacked Sid and Diego when they get separated from the others. Despite almost loosing their lives, the heroes successfully managed to escape.
They later appear in the film when Ellie is trapped in a cave from the rising flood. When Manny and his friends went to rescue Ellie, Cretaceous and Maelstrom tried to eat them, starting with Manny who was in the water trying to save Ellie. However, Manny tricks them into hitting a log wedged beside a large rock, causing the rock to fall and crush the two vicious reptiles.
- They both appeared in the Ice Age 2: The Meltdown Wii and DS games as bosses. One of the levels involves Scrat finding a way out of Maelstrom's digestive system.
- Although their role is small, Cretaceous and Maelstrom are the main antagonists, because they had bigger plans and were far more dangerous than anyone else.
- The species resembling Cretaceous can be seen in the app game, Ice Age Village called "Metri". It is unknown if Maelstrom will be added in a future update or not.
- In the app game, Ice Age Adventure, the player can battle Cretaceous to help Buck get to the other side to meet Granny.
- Cretaceous is the only of the two who can walk on dry land.